A Cognitive Connection is your go-to center in Colorado Springs for cognitive therapy, behavioral therapy, memory care, and brain integration. We’re here to support you and guide you through your cognitive journey with the ultimate goal of helping you understand why you act and think in certain ways. Our passionate team offers a variety of classes, therapies, and counseling to be able to help you with your unique behavioral needs. One of the courses we offer to the Colorado Springs community is parenting classes.
Contrary to popular belief, parenting classes aren’t just for those who were ordered by a court to take parenting classes. Parenting classes are a great resource to help you find your parenting style and help you develop productive discipline tactics. Parenting classes are also great for individuals who become caregivers unexpectedly. Whether you want to learn how to set boundaries at home to create a safe and loving environment or you’re a brand new parent who simply wants to build their support system, parenting classes are a great way to learn how to strengthen the relationship between you and your children.
Benefits of Parenting Classes
It’s important to remember that attending a parenting class doesn’t mean you believe you’re a bad parent, but that you simply want to be as prepared as possible and want to learn different parenting strategies. You’d probably tell anyone that your children’s lives are your top priority and you want them to have the best lives possible. So, doesn’t it make sense that you would want as much information as possible when it comes to parenting them and helping them excel? Whether you’re a first-time parent or are preparing to have your fifth child, there’s so much valuable information you can learn by attending parenting classes. Parenting classes offer a wide range of topics that help you build your parenting repertoire. Some of the benefits of attending parenting classes include:
- Master Parenting Basics
- It doesn’t matter if you were a babysitter when you were younger or if you have a bunch of nieces and nephews that you always help take care of, becoming a parent for the first time can be frightening for anyone. All of a sudden you’re responsible for someone’s life and may feel like you have to suddenly become an expert in everything from potty training to academics. Parenting classes can help you prepare for the different developmental stages your child will go through. By enrolling in parenting classes, you can greatly reduce your feelings of anxiety and gain confidence in your parenting abilities.
- Learn Current Research
- As a parent, you already have your plate full and are constantly juggling multiple to-do lists. Because you’re busy, it can be difficult to find time to look into research about different parenting techniques and how to raise a happy, healthy child. Parenting workshops will help you stay up to date with the latest findings and learn about proven parenting tactics.
- Increase Engagement
- Researchers have found that one of the pillars of a student’s academic success is the involvement of their parent(s). Involved parents are more likely to check in with their kids, attend school events, and help with homework. Attending parenting classes can help you learn how to be positively involved in your child’s academic journey.
- Find A Parenting Style Fit For Your Child’s Personality
- Did you know that matching your parenting style to your child’s personality has a huge impact on their success later on in life? One study conducted by the University of Washington found that parents who use a parenting style catered to their child’s personalities can decrease the chances of their child developing anxiety or depression by up to 50 percent. It’s important to recognize that this means using a parenting style without your child’s personality in mind can unintentionally increase the chances of your child becoming depressed or anxious.
- Build Confidence
- As a parent, it’s common to question your choices and wonder if you’re doing a good job. Parenting classes provide a safe space for you to speak with other parents who feel just like you. Speaking with others who understand how you’re feeling helps you feel less alone and reminds you that you’re doing the best you can. Attending parenting classes is a great way to help build your confidence and feel decisive in your parenting decisions. Being a confident parent will also help show your child the power of confidence and help them build up their own confidence.
- Create A Support Network
- One of the most important benefits of attending parenting classes is having an opportunity to build a support network. A lot of the time, parenting can feel impossible, and it’s important to have a network of other parents who understand how you feel and can offer words of encouragement or a listening ear. Even though parenting classes aren’t designed as a support group, you’ll find that you naturally create a support network from other attendees who are in the same boat as you. Simply having a chance to hear the parenting struggles that someone else is facing can instantly help you feel less alone.
A Cognitive Connection Is Here To Help You Become The Best Parent You Can Be
Parenting classes aren’t just for first-time parents, they’re for anyone who wants to improve their parenting skills. The amount of information you’ll learn in A Cognitive Connection’s parenting classes and the relationships you’ll build with other parents are priceless. Every child is unique and every child responds differently to parenting tactics. That’s why it’s important to explore your options and learn the reasons why one parenting method may be more successful in your home than another. If you’re ready to create well-rounded parenting strategies, meet other like-minded parents, and feel confident in your parenting abilities, then make sure to schedule a consultation with our team to learn more about our parenting classes!