If you’ve ever watched someone experience cognitive decline or suffer from dementia, then you know how difficult and frustrating it can be to feel like you don’t know how to help them. With more research and studies being conducted, it’s been shown that there are ways where we can improve cognitive abilities for individuals living with cognitive decline.
At A Cognitive Connection, we understand the frustration that comes with learning how to adjust your life when you’re trying to deal with cognitive decline. It can be extremely difficult and overwhelming to navigate this new path of yours for both you and your loved ones. Our team will use our expertise and years of experience to help you live a fulfilling life, even while dealing with cognitive decline. Keep reading to learn more about these evidence-based tips for improving your well-being while living with cognitive decline.
How Do You Overcome Cognitive Decline?
As you get older, it’s important to look out for signs of cognitive decline. Cognitive decline can be anything from having difficulty making decisions to experiencing constant agitation. If you’re living with cognitive decline or mild cognitive impairment, it can significantly impact your cognitive health and mental health. To make sure you’re living an enjoyable life and taking care of your mental health, follow these five tips to improve cognitive health while living with cognitive decline.
- Practice Arts
- One of the best ways to combat cognitive decline is to get in touch with your artistic side. Visual art therapy is a popular therapy used in individuals suffering from cognitive decline because it encourages them to use different tools and approaches to create unique artwork. Practicing visual art therapy can help improve your mental health and reduce your anxiety.
- Explore Non-Drug Options
- If you’re dealing with dementia, then you’re probably no stranger to constantly feeling agitated. This behavioral issue is not usually effectively treated with prescription medications. Make sure to look into non-drug options such as massage therapy and animal therapy to see if any of these options help reduce your agitation.
- Complete Brain Games
- Using computer games is a great way to help improve your cognitive functions. Video games and virtual reality activities can help improve many levels of cognition, including memory, attention, and learning. Studies have shown that individuals who suffer from mild cognitive impairment and regularly complete computer games experience short-term improvements in verbal and non-verbal learning, attention span, psychosocial functioning, and overall cognition.
- Exercise Your Mind And Body
- It’s important to make sure you’re combining brain training with physical activity. Combining these two approaches is a great strategy for improving cognitive performance in individuals with or without mild cognitive impairment.
- Understand The Benefits Of Cognitive Training
- Cognitive training has a plethora of benefits that exceed past cognitive outcomes. Cognitive stimulation, computerized cognitive training, and cognitive training and rehabilitation have been shown to improve mental health. If you suffer from dementia, mild cognitive impairment, or other forms of cognitive decline, cognitive training can help reduce the depressive symptoms you may be experiencing. It’s important to remember that the success of reducing your depressive symptoms may depend on the type of cognitive training you use.
Improve Your Cognitive Health With A Cognitive Connection
One of the most difficult parts of getting older is learning how to combat cognitive decline. As your cognitive abilities begin to diminish, it’s important to explore your options. By integrating the above activities into your lifestyle, you can overcome certain aspects of cognitive decline. As cognitive experts, A Cognitive Connection is here to provide a supportive and welcoming environment for you to better understand your brain. If you or someone you love is dealing with cognitive decline and is struggling to live a fulfilling and rewarding life, please contact us immediately. Together, we’ll create an approach to help you navigate your changing mental capabilities.